Sunday, February 9, 2014

where i live - Eileen Spinelli

As I was preparing to transfer books from home to my classroom today, I ran across where i live by Eileen Spinelli.  I'd forgotten how much I adore this book.  It's a great book of poetry.
      In it, we learn about Diana and her life... with all its twists and turns.  It's classic Eileen Spinelli.  Her words tug at your heart and your mind as you explore the life of Diana... who uses her writing to explain her life and the changes she's going through.
     Simple.  Complex.  Sweet.  Sad.  Happy.  Real.  Eileen Spinelli weaves a wonderful tale of Diana, her best friend Rose, her mom, her dad, and Grandpa Joe.  When Diana learns she has to leave the things she loves, it tugs at your heartstrings. 
      Eileen's words, accompanied by Matt Phelan's wonderful drawings, it's a perfect book to share with young readers who might be experiencing a move... or even a family struggle.  Encouraging children to write for authentic purposes might be an added bonus in sharing this book. 
     My two favorite poems are "Music" and "New Resident."  Sweet and simple.  It's a delightful read.
      There's nothing like finding a hidden gem in your stacks that you can't wait to share with your students...

New Resident

A wren has made
her nest
in the willow wreath 
on our front door. 

Now the yellow house
is her home 
too.


1 comment:

  1. Where I Live has always been a favorite of mine! I love the list poem description of the poetry workshop teacher. It's a great mentor text for poetry, lists, story structure. Thanks for reminding me of this treasure!

    ReplyDelete