Monday, September 28, 2009

Give her the River


Michael Dennis Browne's picture-book is a beautifully written story of a father's love for his daughter.  The poetic language coupled with Wendell Minor's paintings make this a wonderful text to share with writers.  I love using it as mentor text for a study of "writing vignettes with a repeated line."  It's also a wonderful text to use during a study of "creating sensory images." 

     "If I could give her anything, I'd give her the river..." a father's dream for his daughter, beautifully writtern.  I first found this book in the bargain section of The Tattered Cover.  And, while it's not a new book, it's once I revisit often.  A first grade teacher I know used it in conjunction with an inquiry study of a river's ecosystem, bringing a bit of poetry into a typically non-fiction oriented study.

No comments:

Post a Comment