Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sky Boys

Sky Boys:  How They Built the Empire State Building.  In this book, a boy learns about the building of the Empire State Building during the Great Depression.  I'm always on the look out for books that are written in second person... Deborah Hopkinson tells the story of this historic landmark in wonderful detail.  I love the poetic nature of the text and the historical significance of the subject matter.  Deborah Hopkinson's website is well worth a visit: http://www.deborahhopkinson.com/  I gave a copy of this to my son who is studying architectural engineering and he has it on display on his bookshelf in his apartment.  
     This is another book I use to talk to my students about stamina and endurance.  I write about it in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment