Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Girls


"I have never looked into my sister's eyes.  I have never bathed alone.  I have never stood in the grass at night and raised my arms to a beguiling moon.  I've never used an airplane bathroom.  Or worn a hat.  Or been kissed like that.  I've never driven a car.  Or slept through the night.  Never a private talk.  Or solo walk.  I've never climbed a tree.  Or faded into a crowd.  So many things I've never done, but oh, how I've been loved.  And, if such things were to be, I'd live a thousand lives as me, to be loved so exponentially."  
     So begins Lori Lansens's novel The Girls.*
     This is a book, a novel, about conjoined craniopagus twins.  It's not maudlin.  It's not mawkish.  It's not trite.  It's actually a surprisingly good read.  It's an amazing story of Rose and Ruby, twins conjoined since birth.  It's written in first person as told by both Rose and Ruby... the story of twins growing up on a family farm in Canada after being adopted by Aunt Lovey and Uncle Stash who adopted them shortly after their birth.
     The book explores the twins from childhood to adulthood.  It explores their unconditional love for one another... despite their differences, quirks, and individual personalities.  It's an interesting journey.
     I'm using the chapters "Ruby & Me" and "Writing & Deadlines" with a group of adults this week... during a study of Synthesis for a two-day workshop.  We'll being taking a look at several texts dealing with relationships and this was a perfect choice.  It is beautifully written (definitely for adults) and explores a unique topic by inviting us into the character's lives and draws us into every detail.
*The paperback edition has a different cover

2 comments:

  1. UGH-this is one of the ones I weeded last week. So many I hadn't gotten to over the years. What are the chances that you would review it just days after I weeded it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've stirred my interest...thanks for the sensitive review. This goes on my TBR pile...

    ReplyDelete