Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Great Sports Book


This book is full of the kinds of sports stories that inspire readers who love sports.  Len Berman (veteran sportscaster extraordinaire) has chosen some of his favorite groundbreaking sports stories.  He begins with Michael Phelps's victory in 2008 in Beijing.  He writes about such athletes as Hank Aaron, Billie Jean King, the U.S. Women's soccer team, Nadia Comaneci (and a certain golfer who's been in the news of late).
     This is a wonderful collection.  It is a nice mix of historical sport's moments.  It's an engaging book for young fans.  The book also includes an audio CD of ten actual moments in sports history.  I'm always on the lookout for books to add to my collection of sports books.
     I especially like how Len Berman shares his favorite moments in sports in the book and challenges the reader to identify the moments in history that would make his or her list (persuasive writing launch, perhaps?).  It's visually attractive and fun to read.  I've added this book to my "must have" list and I can't wait to get this book into the hands of young readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment