Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Jackass! Who, me?

Yesterday as we were sorting paperwork at home, I found $150 worth of gift certificates to The Tattered Cover, our large local independent.  So, naturally I stopped in on my way home from the dentist's office.  I picked up a few gems (hurrah, more blog material)!
     The first was It's a Book by Lane SmithI love this book, written with Lane Smith's typical humor and tongue-in-cheek style.  Lane, a frequent collaborator with Jon Scieszka, has written a "book" taking a jab at the digital age.  Why?  "It's a book, Jackass!" (you'll understand this line when you read it).
     dix b%k md me *L*!  itz Lane's wA of sAyn datbux r impt.  We cnot 4gt hw gud it feels 2 hld a b%k n r hands.  evn W II d teknoloG w'v 2day!  itz hs statemnt of how impt holdN a b%k n yr h& S!  (See if you can transl8 this).
      The illustrations in this book are simple, subtle, and superb!  With just a twist of an eyebrow, a change in the corner of a smile, or by a nod and a tip of a hat, Lane captures such an important story taking a jab at today's technology.  The monkey, the mouse, and the "donkey" are developed as rich characters via simple dialogue and rich illustrations.  I can't wait to read it at my next gathering of teacher friends or at my next inservice... 
      It's among one of several gems I picked up yesterday... and the good news is, I still have $90 to spend.  Yesterday, I had two great finds... the gift certificates and this book!

4 comments:

  1. I love this one, too! I came across a trailer for it that's fun.

    http://us.macmillan.com/BookCustomPage.aspx?isbn=9781596436060&m_type=2&m_contentid=1635367#video

    See you Tuesday! :)

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen that one. Will have to check it out next time I'm at the local bookstore.

    Enjoy the rest of your shopping spree... whenever you decide to take it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really. You just sort through paperwork and find A HUNDRED AND FIFTY BUCKS WORTH OF TC GCs???? I wish MY paperwork held such treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true! Can you believe it? Obviously we're not the best at paperwork...

    ReplyDelete