Friday, October 15, 2010

Books that naturally create a sense of song...

My dear friend, Randi Allison (click on her name to see her poetry website) just bought a house in the desert.  Palm Desert.  When I read this book by Tony Johnston, I thought of her.  Day is Done.  Twilight Comes.  The perfect first words for a lyrical, poetic piece.
     It's a beautifully illustrated book by Ed Young in beautiful colors, simple lines.  And his illustrations match Tony Johnston's words perfectly.  There's a stillness and quietness that created for me the perfect sensory image for desert life.  I'm sure as Randi looks out at the surroundings near her new home (away from home), she gets the same feeling I get, sitting here on my front porch reading.
     I love a book like Desert Songs that creates a crescendo then a lull, a crescendo then a lull... it's reminiscent of The Whales by Cynthia Rylant.  Hmm... perhaps they could be tied together within a study of picture books that create that sense of peace for the reader.  I may have to consider a unit of study using books like these as the anchor...
     If it brings such an incredible sense of peace to the reader, perhaps as a writer it will create that same gift.  I may have to do some experimenting in my own notebook!  See where it leads...
     What other books create this same sense?  Ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment