Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Forever Young? Really?

I remember this song when I was about 14 (1974)... and perhaps the fact that I'm turning 50 this week brings about a certain nostalgia (albeit not necessarily for Bob Dylan's music)!  I picked this text up at CCIRA.
     My wife and I have given this book to our friends who love Dylan and who lived in his era.  The illustrations are amazing and a trip down memory lane for many friends who grew up listening to Dylan's music (trip, interesting word choice).  I love the illustrations of Paul Rogers... he's captured the 1960s well (like a "Where's Waldo" for the Dylan set).  Can you find the references to Lay, Lady, Lay or Blowin' in the Wind or Woody Guthrie?  Brilliant.
     Musically, I love Audra Mae's version.  My own children like Rod Stewart's version.  But this book holds itself to true Dylan style.  Students will look at it as a lovely poem with a repeating line... I look at it as a great piece of text with words that speak volumes.  You can even see it animated at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc-a1kP7ITA
     My friends want to make #50 a big deal and, frankly, I'm not in the mood.  They don't realize that I sincerely want this birthday to pass along smoothly, with perhaps a hug and a bit of reminiscing, maybe a quiet cup of coffee after work or perhaps dinner together in the coming weeks.  I want to reflect and have a peaceful day... no confetti, no balloons, no black arm bands or "Over the Hill" decor.  I hope they'll understand...

No comments:

Post a Comment