Monday, February 8, 2010

A Book About My Favorite Food...

I picked up a copy of Penelope Stowell's book The Greatest Potatoes on the bargain table at The Boulder Book at CCIRA.  Why?  I admit it, potato chips are my favorite food (I don't eat them often, but I certainly could... ) and this book cracked me up!
     It's about George Crum who created this thin, crispy delicacy at Moon's Lake House Restaurant in Saratoga Springs, New York.  His goal?  To please millionaire Cornelius Vanderbilt, Crum (after several unsuccessful attempts) decides to make the most unappetizing, overcooked potatoes he can... the result, potato chips!  The rest, as they say, is history... deep fried, crispy, slightly salty, and deliciously unhealthy history!  Saratoga Chips!
     The book has both an author's note and a recipe in the back that I think students will find interesting.  And, if you're a fellow potato chip lover, you just might try it yourself.  The best part... it was on the bargain table!

No comments:

Post a Comment