Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Happy Birthday, Doris!


My sister's birthday is today!  So, Doris, this extra post is for you...
     When my brothers and sisters were younger, our father was a stonemason and bricklayer who traveled between Kansas, California, Utah, and Colorado... where there was work that's where they moved (my mom and dad were settled in my hometown by the time I came along).  They did a lot of moving!  
     My sister's prized possession was her well-loved and well-worn copy of Madeline's Rescue and to this day, she can recite it without a flaw!  Moving didn't leave too much room for material things, but a book Doris could clutch close to her chest with every move and hide in her heart all these 60+ years later (until it was sadly lost along the way).  But she remembers it!  My favorite fits of laughter come when Doris hops up and recites... 
Madeline jumped on a chair.
"Lord Cucuface," she cried, "beware!"
"Miss Genevieve, noblest dog in all of France,
You shall have your VEN-GE-ANCE!" 
     So, dear sister, thanks for coming to my rescue as many times as there are stars in the sky... And, what a grand thing to have hidden in your heart - the words of Ludwig Bemelman that have been there for more years than you probably like to count!  I love you.  Blessings to you this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment