Thursday, October 1, 2009

Welcome Fall...


Fall is my favorite time of year.  I was visiting my colleague Karen's classroom earlier this week and at the beginning of writer's workshop she said to her children, "You know boy and girls, I was walking my dog this morning and I noticed all the beautiful colors of fall, all the leaves on the ground, the crisp air... and my heart said that today we just needed to spend some time writing about fall (she proceeded to have a masterful conversation about writing about a specific topic with her students).  
     So, we're going to put our writing projects aside for today's workshop and just spend some time writing about fall... you can get out your journals and write what you're thinking about, what's on your heart or mind... you know there are a lot of wonderful books written about this time of year, I've pulled a few here that you might like to read..."  And then she shared a snippet of a few of her favorites and then her second graders settled in to 40 minutes of quiet writing time... independently.  And as Karen meandered around the room, conferring as needed, nudging as needed, and writing as needed I thought to myself... "Now that is what real writers do!"
     Here are my favorite books about autumn (many of which Karen made available to her students), what are your favorites... 
Hello, Harvest Moon by R. Fletcher 
When Autumn Falls by K. Nidey
In November by C. Rylant
Pumpkins by K. Robbins
Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden by G. Levenson 
Pumpkin, Pumpkin by J. Titherington
Leaves! Leaves! Leaves! by E. Wallace
Autumn Leaves by K. Robbins
Autumn: An Alphabet Acrostic by S. Schnur
When Autumn Comes by R. Maass
Autumn Across America by S. Simon
It's Fall by L. Glaser
Autumnblings by D. Florian





No comments:

Post a Comment