Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Keep On!


I'm always looking for picture books that I can use to help my students develop a sense of endurance and stamina.  I love sharing text that emphasizes importance historical events and people.  Deborah Hopkinson's Keep On!  The Story of Matthew Henson, Co-Discoverer of the North Pole is a book I've added to my collection.
     This is the account of Matthew Henson, who accompanied Admiral Peary in 1909.  Henson was an African-American who accepted Peary's invitation to accompany him on his expedition.  Deborah Hopkinson has an incredible knack of capturing historically significant stories in the most endearing ways.  It's a wonderful tribute to an amazing man; one who holds an important, and often unrecognized, place in history.  I especially love the excerpts from Henson's diaries.  Stephen Alcorn's illustrations softly accompany the text, although the story is anything but soft.  Hopkinson's writing brings tremendous importance to this text (including a wonderful epilogue and an interesting timeline).
     When I see Deborah Hopkinson's name, I know I won't be disappointed.  This was no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment