- Bill Varner, my editor, and the staff at Stenhouse Publishers, who have nudged me for quite some time to get this book written
- My friends and colleagues, Randi Allison and Troy Rushmore, who inspire me every day to be a better teacher
- My students, past and present, who make conferring such a thought-provoking and wise part of our reader's workshop
- My colleagues at the PEBC (Public Education and Business Coalition) for our 20+ years of learning together
- My mentors, especially Judy Gilkey, Debbie Miller, Ellin Keene, and Cris Tovani, who always make me think
- My fellow "Friday Freaks" (Cheryl Zimmerman, Lori Conrad, Missy Matthews, Troy Rushmore, Randi Allison, Ilana Spiegel, Kristin Venable, Karen Berg, Susan Logan) who make the first Friday of every month a night of learning, sharing, and blessings
- My dad, Glenn, and mom, Freda, who are looking down right now and smiling. Boy, I miss them
- My family - Susan, Graham, Anneke, Jensen, and Lauryn - for their patience, understanding, and constant encouragement as I wrote this book.
You can read Conferring online at stenhouse.com for limited time. I'm very proud of this project and I hope you'll enjoy taking a gander at it. And, I hope you'll continue to hone your own conferring, look at your students today, and ask, "So... what do you think?" I know I will be.