Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Conferring: The Keystone of Reader's Workshop

Thanks to my fellow bloggers who have been gracious enough to welcome my new book, Conferring: The Keystone of Reader's Workshop to their blog.  Last night, my principal, assistant principal, and building resource teacher (and my beautiful wife) attended our local school board meeting where I was recognized and we went out for celebratory dinner at Union in Castle Rock, Colorado (a wonderful little bistro).  As we laughed and chatted and ate and shared wonderful fellowship, I looked around the table and counted wonderful colleagues as one of my many blessings!  Such support.

     So I wanted to acknowledge my fellow bloggers and tell them how much I appreciate their support as well.  There are interviews with me about the book on http://readingyear.blogspot.com and http://writebrainedteacher.blogspot.com  Always fun to think through your process and talk sincerely about your writing!  
     Also, http://snapshotsofmrsv.blogspot.com has done a lot of reflecting on her first read of the book and I so appreciate her thoughful response to what she's read so far.  I have enjoyed hearing what she has to say!

     Thanks bloggers!

     Tomorrow, I leave for NCTE in Philadelphia.  I'll be doing a book signing on Friday.  My teammates and friends, Randi Allison and Troy Rushmore, are heading to Philly with me.  Staying in a Bed and Breakfast that was built in 1860!  We're looking forward to connecting with friends and colleagues from around the country.  I can't wait to blog about my new learnings.  Of course, my students are excited that I get to see "Mary Poppins" on Friday.
     I asked my students to tell me one thing they'd like me to ask Ralph Fletcher if I run into him.  One of my girls said, "Please ask him if he'll come live with my family for a while!"  I was conferring with another third grade boy (who was reading Poetry Matters) and he said, "Ask him how he does it.  How does he write so that I hear his voice (even though I've never met him)?  And, how does he connect it all?  I'm sitting here reading this introduction and I'm hearing him in Marshfield Dreams and I'm hearing him in Twilight Comes Twice.  It's like, well, he's speaking to me and he's a friend.  Like he's right in this room asking me to write poetry.  It's like, to him, writing is the greatest gift he can give to his family, to me, to anyone..."  Amazing!
     So, count your blessings today.  We'll chat tomorrow, perhaps...

No comments:

Post a Comment