Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sojourner


I love the story of Sojourner Truth and I admire many of the picture books that tell her story.  Three of my favorites are Only Passing Through: The Story of Sojourner Truth by Anne Rockwell, A Picture Book of Sojourner Truth by David A. Adler, and When Harriet Met Sojourner by Catherine Clinton and Shane W. Evans.  It looks like I'll have a new one to add to my list:  Sojourner Truth's Step-Stop Stride by Andrea Pinkney and Brian Pinkney. 
      In this stunning book, we hear again the familiar story of Belle (Sojourner) who fought to help end slavery and for equal rights for all!  She was a tall woman with a powerful voice, a woman before her time.
     This book would make the perfect think aloud during a study of determining importance.  I can't wait to add it to my collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment